Our doctors at TMJ & Sleep Therapy Centre of San Fernando Valley located in Northridge, California, explain that in the absence of trauma, conditions of the Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) are almost always structural in nature, making this a medical condition. Traditional medical treatment is based on treating symptoms instead of finding and treating the cause and primarily uses medication and physical therapy to provide symptom relief. Unlike these treatment approaches for a palliative care/pain management, the treatment philosophy of Dr. Ariz and Dr. Arami is to determine the origin or cause of the patient’s symptoms through comprehensive evaluation and diagnostic evaluation, and then provide the ideal therapeutic care modality for the rehabilitation of the injured structures.
The technique employs treatment therapy to injured structures (TM joints) providing with custom designed orthopedic appliances (orthotics) to rehabilitate and restore structural problems and orthopedic function (chewing, swallowing) as well as improving breathing and resolving related symptoms.
- A comprehensive evaluation and triage to identify the primary source of the problem and direct the appropriate treatments for maximum medical improvement (MMI).
- Identifying any secondary diagnoses and special concerns that may affect MMI.
- Developing the treatment plan accordingly. The treatments may be TM therapies, Oral Appliance Therapy (OAT) for Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), or combined treatments.
- Designing and delivering the appropriate orthopedic appliances for individual patient diagnoses.
- Monitoring and managing the directed patient care for 12 to 14 weeks to meet the standard of care for TM treatment modalities and/or the maximum efficacy of OAT for OSA through timely, accurate evaluations and appropriate patient education and additional direction for:
- Compliance in appliance wear for maximum improvement
- Necessary referrals for maximum improvement
- Necessary physical medicine for maximum improvement
- Appropriate nutrition/supplement/medication for maximum improvement
- Appropriate recall evaluations for monitoring and management of patient care